Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Procrastination is my Friend

So I have officially fallen off the wagon- if you will- when it comes to completing two tasks I started a while back. Of course, this means I must start over. I was exercising for a while in regards to 22. Start and Continue an Exercise Regimen For at Least 3 Months. You'll find that it is extremely hard-or down right impossible to exercise when your house is in the state ours is at the present moment. We are half-packed for the cross country move. What isn't packed is bare necessities for the next 29 days and furniture and what-nots that are listed on craigslist. I have a rather large case of OCD- not to be confused with the larger case of ADD that owns me. So it has been extremely hard for me to just let it go and live in this present state. Boxes strewn about, bags upon bags of crap for the Amvets and mismatching furniture pieces everywhere. I think that is what bothers me most. Regardless, I have a grip on my crazy-cleanliness for the moment.

For me, exercising has not been an option. I am still doing WW which is going strong. I think it has been a month and a half now. 10 pounds and counting. I still cannot get over how much longer it is taking to lose the weight as opposed to when I was 18 and again at 22. Scary really.

I have also completely stopped #2 Take A Photograph Everyday For a Year. I thought this task would prove to be easier than it has been. I found that I completely forget to take photos or I rack my brain for something, anything to take a photo of. I realize in years past my camera was permanently affixed to my hand- yet now, in Arizona, I have nothing to photograph.

I have also been very bad at keeping up with this blog, because, well let's face it- I haven't been keeping up with the list. I made the executive decision to wait to take on any more challenges from the list until we complete the move.

I do have a plan. There is a YMCA not even half a block from the new apartment. I plan on checking into that. It used to be very cheap, perhaps it still is. I also know one of the joys of Chicago is getting used to walking 5 miles to a destination and that being considered only a short voyage. I am actually looking forward to that. Arizona summers do not lend well to walking anywhere. Even from your parking spot to the store you have good intentions of getting into before your sweat glands accompanied by 110 degree heat make you look like you just got hit by a torrential rain storm.

The photographs? Well, as I have stated MANY times before- we lead a very boring life out here. Living in Buckeye doesn't help much, but add that to the fact that we have been trying to save money for the last year and a half and- well- that equals sitting on your couch every evening watching reruns of CSI and Law and Order. Or, in our finer moments, laying on the floor in the office watching the Heroes seasons on Netflix. I know you are jealous- but you can't all be as cool as me. Regardless, I know things will be different once we get back to Chicago, and the photograph thing will be a different task in and of itself.

What I will be focusing on till the move is just getting out of this place in a sane fashion, and finding a job before the move out there. Work has been a nightmare, simply because finding someone to fill my position in not an easy task. Training them is going to be a whole other story in and of itself. The longer it takes to hire someone, the less time I have to prepare them. Plus, our 6 month recruitment plan is due Monday and they've once again changed the targeted demographic of recruitment. I've been doing this for 7 odd years now and let me tell you, targeting African American, Native American and Hispanic families for foster care is difficult on its own. Throw in the fact that the State will no longer reimburse us for print or media advertising and I am lost. I am not bilingual and I am not sure where the Native Americans hang out- so this recruitment plan has been somewhat of a challenge. On top of all this, the stress of moving is monumental. The waiting to move even though we are emotionally ready to just leave this instant is killing us. I've moved my fair share- 10 times in the last 6-7 years- but never cross country with this much stuff. Hell, my move out here I just threw necessities into the back of the Focus because, well I never planned on staying here as long as I did.

Anyway, I shall continue to bore you with the details of the impending move and such. The list will have to wait till we are settled back in Chicago. On another note- we decided to purchase random stuff from our favorite vintage/retro stores before the move, simply because it is so much cheaper out here than in Chicago. We found some phenomenally cheap chairs for our dining room set. We have painted most of them and re-upholstered all of them. I am quite proud of our creativity. I will leave you with those.




1 comment:

Tiff said...

Holy shit, Erica. We will have no problems taking pictures when we're in the same room together again...

...for the first time in over a year!

And from then on, of course.

Also, we'll need to visit your old building, and take pictures in the elevator...for the hell of it.